Writing for the web
Yes, we can all write, however, writing for the web – or any marketing copy – is a specialist skill.
Different writing purposes have different 'best practises'. Writing a novel, for example, uses different techniques to writing a menu. There are a few important things to keep in mind when writing for the web:
- Use plain English so everyone viewing your content can understand. This means using short sentences with simple vocabulary - avoid industry jargon and complex metaphors.
- Break up your text or write less. This will make your content easier to digest and more engaging. You want it to be easily scannable for the reader.
- Make sure you're writing for your target audience. The goal is for your target market to be engaged, it doesn't matter whether you find it interesting or not.
- Structure your page with headings and subheadings. Viewers should be able to tell straight away whether something is a main topic of the page or a sub-topic.
- Optimise for search engines (SEO). This is particularly important if you're writing website copy. You should incorporate key words, links, and calls-to-actions.
- Apply all relevant accessibility features. This one is more of a design tip but it's important you adhere to all relevant accessibility rules - you could have written some fantastic copy but no one will be able to read it if it's written in yellow text on a white background. Accessibility is also important for SEO.
Writing for the web checklist
Compelling content has become the most effective online marketing tool. Writing compelling content for your website is the most cost effective place to start. This checklist outlines everything you need to know before you do.
Download your free checklist today.
Experienced and savvy, Webalite’s writers understand how important your business is to you, and what can be achieved online. We know you want more leads, better sales and enhanced authority in the marketplace. You can go a long way to achieving these goals by having top-quality, useful content based on a well-structured website.
We understand the importance of preparation and planning in creating compelling website content. We'll get to know you, your brand, your goals, and your audience so we can build an effective strategy for marketing your content online."I joke about our writing team making my england gooder. But I seriously need help!" – Mike Eastwood
Webalite's writing services include:
- Website content
- Social media posts
- Email marketing copy
- Lead magnets e.g. downloadable PDFs
- Video scripts
- Advertising copy
- Search engine optimisation (SEO)
- Keyword analysis for SEO
- Sales copy